The upcoming Municipal Election to elect a Mayor and Town Councillors will be held on Monday, October 22, 2018.
Are you on the Voters list for the upcoming Municipal Election in October 2018?
Visit voterlookup.ca to confirm, update your information, or add a name to your property address.
Are You Eligible to Run for and Hold Office?
You may run for a Council position if you are eligible to vote in the election and fulfill all of the following requirements below:
Mayor and Council
- You are a resident of the municipality, a non-resident owner or tenant of land in the municipality or the spouse of such non-resident owner or tenant;
- You are a Canadian citizen;
- You are least 18 years old;
- You are not legally prohibited from voting, and;
- You are not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.
It is the responsibility of the Candidate to determine whether or not they are eligible to run for and hold municipal or school board office.
Nomination Period will open on Tuesday, May 1, 2018, and close on Friday, July 27, 2018 at 2:00 PM.
Filing Nomination Papers
If you are satisfied that you meet the prescribed requirements, as set out in the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, and wish to campaign for office you must first file with the Clerk’s Office, located at the Town Hall, 30 King Street East, Gananoque, ON, during the Nomination Period (beginning Tuesday, May 1, 2018, (Monday to Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM) up to and including Friday July 27, 2018 at 2:00 PM.
The following documents are required to file.
1. Form 1 – Nomination Paper;
2. Form 2 – Endorsement of Nomination
(This form is a new legislated requirement under the Municipal Elections Act, and must be endorsed by at least twenty-five (25) electors who are eligible to vote in the Town of Gananoque, as of the time signing the Endorsement of Nomination Form).
3. Identification showing your name and address (i.e. Ontario Driver’s Licence, Ontario Health Card (photo card), Property Tax Assessment etc.), and;
4. Nomination Fee: $200 for Mayor and $100 for Councillor.
Accepted forms of Payment are:
- Certified Cheque or Money Order, made payable to the Town of Gananoque.
The nomination filing fee is refunded when a candidate submits their Financial Statement (and Auditor's Report, if applicable) in March 2019.
A candidate cannot raise or spend any money on their campaign until the Nomination Paper has been filed.