Eligible candidates will:
- Have a principal residence and/or employment within the boundary of the Town of Gananoque or a reasonable response time to the fire station as time is critical in responding to emergency incidents (acceptable area to be determined by Fire Chief).
- Willingness to commit to training, community involvement and emergency response.
- Have a valid Class G driver’s license, have or be able to obtain, a valid ‘D’ Driver’s License with ‘Z’ endorsement and have an acceptable drivers abstract.
- Have a Grade 12 Diploma or the educational equivalent.\
- Be able to communicate clearly and understand both orally and in written English.
- Be in good health and be capable of handling intense, sustained physical effort.
The Paid On-Call Recruit Training Program takes approximately up to 12 months to complete. Participants are expected to train:
- Wednesday’s from 6:00pm. to 9:00 p.m.
- Some Weekend training may be required in order to accommodate for specialized training sessions.
Submit a resume and cover letter to Town of Gananoque Fire Chief Gord Howard via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Task Evaluation:
Applicants who advance past the initial application stage must complete an Occupational Physical Assessment/Acrophobia Test.
The tasks that make up the physical testing are designed to reflect job-specific tasks required to perform firefighting duties. This analysis aims primarily to provide you with a realistic idea of incident tasks you will be expected to perform and to provide the Fire Department with a valid assessment of your physical capabilities relative to the functions required by the position.
- Warm up
- Stair Climb
- Weighted rope pull
- Dummy Drag
- Equipment carry
- Ladder raise and extension
- Aerial ladder climb
Complete an interview:
Candidates for interviews will be selected following the physical assessment/acrophobia test assessment. The candidate will be asked a series of questions relevant to emergency response in order to allow fire department management to gain a better understanding of the candidate’s personality and qualifications.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. We thank all those who apply.
Suitable candidates will be required to:
- Provide medical documentation from a physician stating they are medically cleared to perform the role;
- Submit a Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening through the Gananoque Police Service.
- Submit an Ontario Driver’s License Abstract.
Upon completion of the interview the successful candidates will be selected and offered a position as a recruit Firefighter with the Gananoque Fire Service.
Thank you for considering joining the Gananoque Fire Service. We appreciate the effort every applicant puts forth to assist in the protection of our community.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Fire Chief Gord Howard