Application For Reduction in Assessment
Under Section 357 & 358 of the Municipal Act.
- Property owners may apply for a reduction in assessment when a property:
- Ceases to be liable for tax at the rate it was taxed at,
- Became exempt from property taxation,
- Is razed by fire, demolition or otherwise,
- Is damaged and substantially unusable,
- Where a Mobile unit is removed,
- Experiences a Gross or manifest clerical / factual error, or
- Is under repairs / renovations preventing normal use (min. 3 months).
If your property qualifies under any of the above conditions please complete and return the application form to the Town of Gananoque.
Request For Reconsideration
Upon receipt of your assessment, notice from the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) review it carefully to make sure the information is correct. If a factual error has been made, it may be corrected by contacting MPAC directly, and asking them to review your assessment through a Request for Reconsideration (RfR).
The preferred route to file an RfR is to submit the applicable form that is available at www.mpac.ca web site. After connecting to their site access your property file by going into the About My Property module - the form is available there. Your most recent assessment notice will advise how to access the site. Alternatively, you may call them at 1.866.296.6722 and request an RfR form.
Application Deadline: March 31st, of the year for which the application is being submitted, with allowances for recognized holidays.
MPAC Contact Information (Have your roll number available when calling):
PO Box 9808