• Media Release – United Counties of Leeds & Grenville – Counties Partnership, Provincial Funding, Allocates 44 New Licensed Childcare Spaces in Gananoque by end of 2024. As such, Town Staff were directed to move forward with negotiations with UCLG and YMCA Eastern Ontario.
• Notice was given with regards to a Public Meeting to be held during the Regular Council meeting on Tuesday February 6, 2024, to consider a Proposed Official Plan
Amendment and Class III Development Permit relating to 740 King Street West.
• An expression of interest to sit on the Finance Working Group was called in response to a Motion put forward by Councillor Harper in 2023, which was passed by Council, to rotate the membership of the group on an annual basis. A By-law was passed to appoint Councillor Colin Brown and Councillor Patrick Kirkby, replacing Deputy Mayor Vicki Leakey and Councillor Anne Marie Koiner.
• Staff were directed by Council to explore alternatives to fireworks and looked at drones. Following a Staff Report and careful consideration, Council directed Staff to proceed with a traditional fireworks show for Canada Day 2024, with a budget of $13,000 or a 20 minute show.
• The 2024 Operating and Capital Budget was read a first and second time as presented with a 7% tax levy increase. The third and final reading is scheduled to take place at the next regular meeting of Council, on February 6, 2024.
• Staff were directed to proceed with adoption of the 2024 Operational budget as drafted, of the 2024 Joint Services Transfer, Health Unit and Employee Health Benefits Renewal.
• Short term borrowing By-law was passed which will authorize short-term borrowing.
• The 2024 Water and Wastewater Operating and Capital Budget was read a first and second time. The Average Household will see a 13.8% increase. The third and
final reading is scheduled to take place at the next regular meeting of Council, on February 6, 2024.
• Interim Tax By-law was passed to authorize Staff to issue bills for the 2024 interim tax levy.
• A By-law was passed to appoint Municipal Law Enforcement Officers for the Corporation of the Town of Gananoque. CSO Andrew Kent was appointed a Municipal Law Enforcement Officer under the Ontario Fire Code.
• The Gananoque Public Library Quarterly Report was received by Council.
• Mayor Beddows put forth a motion to direct Staff to prepare a report on the changes required to provide the Town with the authority to recommend that all future personal electric vehicle charging stations built in Gananoque, to also include a percentage of accessible units in accordance with AODA. The motion was carried.
• Mayor Beddows invited Jane Needles to speak to the King Street Productions request for funding for the 2024 First Peoples’ Performing Arts Festival. Council referred King Street Productions funding request for the 2024 First Peoples Performing Arts Festival to the Community Grant and Tourism Advisory Panel (TAP) application process.